Greetings...Books must state ON OUR SHELVES NOW for same day in store pick-up. We recommend calling (415-495-2992) to verify low stock numbers.
Moon Washington Hiking: Best Hikes plus Beer, Bites, and Campgrounds Nearby (Paperback)
Craggy coastal cliffs, towering active volcanoes, and cascading waterfalls: wherever you turn in Washington, adventure awaits. Pack a lunch, lace up your boots, and hit the trails with Moon Washington Hiking. Inside you'll find:
- Diverse Hiking Options: Whether you plan to take leisurely lakeside walks or challenging journeys around Mount Pilchuck, enjoy outdoor getaways ranging from easy day hikes to multi-day backpacking trips
- Find Your Hike: Looking for something specific? Choose from strategic lists of the best hikes for breathtaking waterfalls, spring wildflowers, or hiking with your dog, plus a breakdown of the best hikes by season
- The Top Outdoor Experiences: Pick alpine wildflowers in a meadow along Mount Rainier's Skyline Trail, or wander through a dense, green rain forest in Olympic National Park. Venture across a suspension bridge to breathtaking canyon views, and glimpse seals, eagles, and deer at a wildlife reserve. Catch a vibrant sunset from a beach dotted with sea stacks, or explore an underground lava tube
- Nearby Fun: Relax post-hike at a local brewery, savor a plate of fresh oysters, and stargaze before bed at a nearby campground
- Essential Planning Details: Each hike is described in detail and marked with round-trip distance and hiking time, difficulty, terrain type, elevation gain, and access points
- Maps and Directions: Find easy-to-use maps, driving directions to each trailhead, and details on where to park
- Expert Advice: Longtime hiker Craig Hill shares his local secrets, unique tips, and honest opinions of each trail
- Tips and Tools: Advice on gear, first aid, and camping permits, plus background information on climate, landscape, and wildlife
Hitting the road? Check out Moon Pacific Northwest Road Trip!
About Moon Travel Guides: Moon was founded in 1973 to empower independent, active, and conscious travel. We prioritize local businesses, outdoor recreation, and traveling strategically and sustainably. Moon Travel Guides are written by local, expert authors with great stories to tell—and they can't wait to share their favorite places with you.
For more inspiration, follow @moonguides on social media.
About the Author
Craig Hill's passion for the outdoors started as a child when his dad routinely dragged him away from the TV and took him to explore the mountains, forests and beaches of Washington. After studying writing at Washington State University, he turned down an opportunity to attend graduate school at the University of Missouri, and instead took a job as a sports writer. But even as he covered some of the biggest events in sports, he couldn't shake his desire to be in the mountains. So, in 2004, he strapped on his old hiking boots and walked away from a promising career and took over as the outdoor writer for The News Tribune in Tacoma.
Today, he has a strong track record in Washington's outdoor community. The National Park Service honored him in 2011 for his contributions at Mount Rainier National Park. Craig serves as the outdoor sports chairman for the Tacoma-Pierce County Sport Hall of Fame and lives in Puyallup, Washington.